The Danger of Batteries for Dogs

thumbnail

When we have a young child, we are very aware of all the dangers to which it can be exposed. We know perfectly well that the majority of accidents with children occur inside the home, so we try to make the environment as safe as our circumstances allow.

However, it is possible that when we live with a pet we are not so clear that we have to take similar precautions.

That is why today we are going to show you how dangerous batteries are for dogs.

Piles everywhere

Stop a second and think about the number of batteries in your house. On the remote control, on the camera, on radio, on toys, on a flashlight or a watch, for example.

But there are also those that we do not use and store more or less safely in a drawer and those that we have set aside for recycling.

The most dangerous batteries

Although in the case of children the most dangerous batteries are the button ones, because they are the ones that can most easily be swallowed, in that of dogs, especially if they are large, they are all dangerous.

Of course, in the case of the button, there is an added risk and that is that the animal can aspirate them through the nose. But in general terms, you can all cause an accident. Therefore, the first option is to always have them out of reach of our pets.

Why batteries are so dangerous for our dogs

First, because dogs run a clear risk of drowning with them. But, also, they are extremely toxic. Do not forget that they contain different chemical substances such as mercury, silver oxide, lithium, zinc or manganese.

Although if they pass into the digestive tract the battery may be expelled outside without major problems using feces, this is not always the case.

On the one hand, the battery could end up in the airways and, on the other, it could open along the digestive tract putting the animal’s health at serious risk.

Symptoms that appear in dogs

Ideally, you should have the conviction that your dog has swallowed a battery so that you can act as soon as possible. You may have seen it with your own eyes or perhaps when you realize that a battery of remote control or a package is missing.

But, unfortunately, in most cases, you will begin to suspect that it has happened because of the symptoms that your pet presents, as long as he does not expel it directly through feces as we said.

They can be the following:

  • Pain and burning in the mouth or along the digestive tract.
  • Vomiting and diarrhea.
  • Drooling
  • Trouble breathing if you have stayed in the airways.
  • Spasms.
  • Apathy and weakness.

You will be thinking that many of these symptoms are complicated to perceive since dogs cannot speak and therefore cannot tell us how they feel.

However, he thinks the same thing happens with a baby and we who are parents know quickly if something bad happens to them.

So trust your instinct. If you think something is wrong, it is probably because it goes wrong.

How to act with dogs

If you suspect that your dog has swallowed or vacuumed a battery, act immediately. We do not want to alarm you but after it is exposed to the substances inside it in a few minutes, the area can begin to become necrotic.

Go quickly to veterinary emergency services. As soon as you arrive, tell the staff to attend to what happened or your suspicions. In this case, every minute counts.

If the battery has not been opened inside the animal, simply remove it to avoid complications. If the toxins have already gone abroad, the case is complicated. Even so, trust the diligence of the medical staff who will do their best to safeguard the health of your pet.

Once the initial danger has passed, the dogs will be treated for the healing of ulcers and, subsequently, a special diet in which the fiber abounds.

As always, prevention is the best treatment, so never leave batteries within the reach of dogs.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back To Top